Church of England Services – Heart of Eden Benefice
St Columba’s, Warcop with St Theobald’s, Musgrave:
The Parish of Warcop with Musgrave
During the vacancy, churches in the benefice will generally be holding one Holy Communion Service each month, with the exception of St Lawrence’s, so we begin the year with a lay-led service at St Columba’s.
A reminder also that services at St Columba’s will be starting at 10.30am. Services at St Theobald’s will continue to start at 10am.
Sunday 1 October, 10.30am, Holy Communion at St Columba’s, Warcop
Sunday 8 October, 10.30 am, Churches Together Songs of Praise at Warcop Parish Hall
Sunday 22 October, 10.00am, Holy Communion at St Theobold’s, Great Musgrave
28th & 29th October, Wellbeing weekend at Appleby & Warcop – as poster attached
Promoting a Safer Church
The care and protection of children, young people and adults involved in Church activities is the responsibility of everyone who participates in the life of the Church.
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children and vulnerable adults
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse or other affected persons
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns/allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk
IF YOU ARE CONCERNED that someone you know is at risk of, or is being abused, or presents a risk to others, please seek advice from a Safeguarding Adviser or if necessary, report the matter to the Local Authority Social Care Services or the Police without delay.
Local contacts available to speak to if you have any concerns
|Name: Joyce Keetley||Role: Parish Safeguarding Coordinator|
|Tel: 07791804679||Email: email@example.com|
|Name: Dr Andrew Brittlebank||Role: Benefice Safeguarding Officer|
|Tel: 07740224324||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Name: Charles Proctor||Role: Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser|
|Tel: 07458016884||Email: email@example.com|
|Local Authority Social Services: 0333 240 1727|
If there is an immediate risk or danger please contact the police on 101
|v NSPCC: 0808 800 5000||v Samaritans: 116 123|
|v Childline: 0800 1111||v Family Lives: 0808 800 2222|
|v Stop It Now: 0808 1000 900||v National Domestic Violence: 0808 2000 247|
|v NAPAC: 0808 801 0331||v Action On Elder Abuse: 080 8808 8141|
PLEASE SEE THESE ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS ON 1) PROMOTING A SAFER CHURCH AND 2) SAFEGUARDING POLICY:
St. Columba’s, Warcop
Warcop stands half way between Brough and Appleby, and the parish comprises the villages of Warcop and Sandford and the hamlet of Bleatarn. It once included also the small village of Burton, lying under the lee of the Pennines to the north of the roman road (the A66), but this was demolished in World War II by the army which now uses the surrounding fellside for infantry training.
Warcop (“Warthe-coppe”) means “the hill where ruins mark the road,” – perhaps a reference to the bronze-age stone circle that once stood bedside the roman road. Its church existed by the mid-twelfth century, when it belonged to a local magnate of Anglo-Norman-Norse blood called Torphin, who was probably the one who chose its dedication to St Columba, the Celtic saint from Iona. The church was enlarged with transepts and chantry-chapels in the thirteenth century, survived Scottish armies in the fourteenth-century, and enjoyed progressive repair and improvement every century thereafter. Today it is grade I listed for its beautiful interior and its fine early Georgian oak pews. Inside the south door are hung the rush bearing crosses and floral crowns which are replaced every year at a substantial village ceremony on St Peter’s day, 29th June.